Areas of expertise
• Lipid analysis
• Fatty acids
• Enzyme modification of lipids
• PhD Chemistry, 2001, University of Auckland
• Member of the American Oil Chemists Society (and member of its Australasian division).
• AOCS Approved Chemist – Marine Oil Fatty Acid Profile 2015 - 2018
• Member of the NZIC
• Member of The Oils & Fats Specialist Group of the NZIC
Andrew manages much of the commercial analytical activities of the Lipids Team.
He established 31P NMR analysis of phospholipids which has been valuable to New Zealand dairy and marine products industries.
Andrew is the technical manager for Callaghan Innovation’s IANZ accredited phospholipid analytical service.
• Quantitative Analysis of Dairy Phospholipids by 31P NMR, A. MacKenzie, M. Vyssotski and E. Nekrasov, JAOCS, 2009, 86:757-763; DOI: 10.1007/s11746-009-1403-6
• Phospholipids of New Zealand Edible Brown Algae, M. Vyssotski, A. MacKenzie, K. Lagutin, K. Mitchell, D. Scott, Lipids, 2017, 52: 629–639; DOI: 10.1007/s11745-017-4266-x
• The identification and quantification of phospholipids from Thermus and Meiothermus bacteria, Lagutin, K., MacKenzie, A., Houghton, K.M., Stott, M.B., Vyssotski, M., Lipids, 2014, 49:1133-1141; DOI: · 10.1007/s11745-014-3946-z
• Analysis of sphingolipids, sterols, and phospholipids in human pathogenic Cryptococcus strains, A. Singh, A. MacKenzie, G. Girnun, M. Del Poeta, J. Lipid Res. 2017, 58:(10) 2017-2036; DOI: · 10.1194/jlr.M078600
• Phospholipids of New Zealand Shellfish, A.D. MacKenzie, Australasian Section AOCS - Biennial Conference, 2006, Melbourne, Australia.; DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.2.16682.93128