Areas of expertise
• Lipid analysis (dairy, marine, bacteria, etc)
• Structure elucidation
• Shelf-life and oxidation stability
• Method development
• Quality management (ISO/IEC 17025:2017)
• PhD Bioorganic chemistry, 2013
• Member of the American Oil Chemists' Society (AOCS)
• Committee member of the AOCS Australasian section
Kirill has been working within the Lipids team at Callaghan Innovation (previously IRL) since 2008. He completed his PhD in 2013 investigating novel lipids from extremophilic bacteria discovered in New Zealand geothermal areas.
His interests include characterisation, enrichment and isolation of various beneficial lipids from a wide range of sources (dairy, meat, plant and marine products), as well as development of analytical methods (usually by means of GC and NMR).
He is the quality manager of Callaghan Innovation’s Lipid Analytical Services which provides ISO 17025 accredited analysis of dairy phospholipids using NMR.
• Lipid profile of New Zealand sheep milk, Vyssotski, M., Lagutin, K., Bloor, S., Mackenzie, A., Scott, D., Broadhurst, M., Day, L. and Samuelsson, L., Food New Zealand, 2017, 17(1), p.32.
• Absolute stereochemistry of 1,2-diols from lipids of Thermomicrobia, Lagutin, K., Wong, H., Vyssotski, M. and MacKenzie, A., Lipids, 2016, 51(3), pp.373-376.
• Efficient separation and analysis of triacylglycerols: Quantitation of β-palmitate (OPO) in oils and infant formulas, Vyssotski, M., Bloor, S.J., Lagutin, K., Wong, H. and Williams, D.B.G., Journal of agricultural and food chemistry, 2015, 63(26), pp.5985-5992.
• A novel fatty acid, 12, 17-dimethyloctadecanoic acid, from the extremophile Thermogemmatispora sp.(strain T81), Vyssotski, M., Ryan, J., Lagutin, K., Wong, H., Morgan, X. and Stott, M., Lipids, 2012, 47(6), pp.601-611.
• Chthonomonas calidirosea gen. nov., sp. nov., an aerobic, pigmented, thermophilic micro-organism of a novel bacterial class, Chthonomonadetes classis nov., of the newly described phylum Armatimonadetes originally designated candidate division OP10. Lee, K.C.Y., Dunfield, P.F., Morgan, X.C., Crowe, M.A., Houghton, K.M., Vyssotski, M., Ryan, J.L., Lagutin, K., McDonald, I.R. and Stott, M.B., International journal of systematic and evolutionary microbiology, 2011, 61(10), pp.2482-2490.