Areas of expertise
• Protein characterisation and analysis
• Enzyme characterisation and analysis
• Protein nanotechnology development and commercialisation
• Biological medical device development
• Cosmeceutical and OTC product development
• PhD Chemistry, Massey University
• Australasian Society for Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering
• New Zealand Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Leonardo has an academic background in chemistry, biochemistry and pharmaceutical sciences. His skills range from the design and synthesis of pharmaceutical compounds to the expression, purification and characterisation of proteins.
His work experience – spanning pharmacy, drug discovery, medical devices and biotechnology – has allowed him to specialise in product innovation, product development and commercialisation.
• Amyloid Fibrils from Hemoglobin, Jayawardena, N.; Kaur, M.; Nair, S.; Malmstrom, J.; Goldstone, D.; Negron, L.; Gerrard, J.; Domigan, L., Biomolecules, 2017, 7(2), 37
• Biotechnological approaches for production of high value compounds from bread waste, Haroon, S.; Vinthan, A.; Negron, L.; Das, S.; Berenjian, A., American Journal of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 2016, 12(2), 102-9
• Proteins as supramolecular building block: Nterm-Lsr2 as a new protein tecton, Ashmead, H.; Negron, L.; Webster, K.; Arcus, V.; Gerrard, J.; Biopolymers, 2014, 103(5) 260-70
• Ovine forestomach matrix inhibits matrix metalloproteinases and neutrophil elastase, Negron, L.; Lun, S.; and May, B.; International wound journal 11, no. 4 (2014): 392-397.
• Biochemical and structural characterisation of dehydroquinate synthase from the New Zealand kiwifruit Actinidia chinensis, Mittelstädt, G.; Negron, L.; Schofield, L.R.; Marsh K.; Parker, E.J., Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, 2013, 537(2), 185-91
• Fluorinated substrates result in a variable leakage of a reaction intermediate during catalysis by dehydroquinate synthase, Negron, L.; Parker, E.J., Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry, 2011, 9(8), 2861-67