Areas of expertise
• Supercritical extraction – processing & products
• Chemical, process & food engineering
• Functional food & nutraceutical product development
• Tech transfer & scale-up
• Bee products (honey & propolis)
• PhD Chemical Engineering, University of Birmingham, UK
• Member ACS, AOCS, NZIC, NZIFST
• NZ Science & Technology Silver Medal (RSNZ), 2002
• NZIC Fonterra Prize for Industrial and Applied Research, 2009
Owen’s chemical engineering background has been applied to the development of extraction, separation and fractionation processes for the production of nutraceuticals, functional foods, dietary supplements and cosmeceuticals from biologically derived raw materials to a semi-commercial scale.
His research has led to the establishment of supercritical extraction as an industrial process in New Zealand, and a range of high value products and supporting process and product patents for New Zealand and international companies. He is currently establishing food processing technology expertise in Auckland, and works closely with the FINNZ network.
• Perspectives on processing of high value lipids using supercritical fluids, Catchpole, O.; Moreno, T.; Montañés, F.; Tallon, S., J. Supercritical Fluids (30th anniversary edition), 2018, 134, 260-268.
• Anti-gastrointestinal cancer activity of cyclodextrin-encapsulated propolis, Catchpole, O.; Mitchell, K.; S. Bloor, S.; Davis, P.; Suddes, A., J. Functional Foods, 2018, 41, 1-8.
• Integrated supercritical fluid extraction and bioprocessing, Catchpole, O.; Tallon, S.; Dyer, P.; Montañés, F.; Morena, T.; Vagi, E.; Eltringham, W,; Billakanti, J., American J. Biochemistry & Biotechnology, 2012, 8(4), 263-267.
• Semi-preparative supercritical chromatography scale plant for polyunsaturated fatty acids purification, Montanes, F.; Catchpole, O.; Tallon, S.; Mitchell, K.; Lagutin, K., J. Supercritical Fluids, 2013, 79, 46-54.
• Catchpole, O.J.; Grey, J.B.; MacKenzie, A.D.; Tallon, S.J.; Extraction of highly unsaturated lipids with liquid dimethyl ether. 2006, NZ 547429, WO2007136281, US8383845, AU2013257434.